Night of Hunters
- Personnel: Pawel Zalejski, Bartosz Zachlod (violin); Piotr Szumiel (viola); Piotr Skweres (cello); Laura Lucas (flute, alto flute); Andreas Ottensamer (clarinet); Nigel Shore (oboe); Peter Whelan (bassoon).
- Audio Mixers: Marcel VanLimbeek; Mark Hawley.
- Recording information: Martian Engineering, Cornwall, England.
- Photographer: Victor De Mello.
- Never one to shy away from trying something new, on this, her 12th album and follow-up to 2009's holiday effort Midwinter Graces, the flame-haired songstress takes inspiration from classical music to create a "21st century song cycle." Released on world-renowned German classical label Deutsche Grammophon, it sees her return to the stripped-back acoustic sound of her early career, featuring chamber instrumentation, such as strings and woodwinds, as she tells the story of a woman who "reinvents herself... [out of] the dying embers of a relationship."
Professional ReviewsSpin (p.72) - "[A] wildly imaginative ride full of orchestral fireworks and fairy-tale melodrama..."
Entertainment Weekly (p.74) - "Tori goes all classical master, playing lovely piano variations on Debussy, Satie, and more..."
Magnet (pp.52-53) - "NIGHT combines classical and flighty pop quite masterfully."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.98) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "[With] striking, baroque melodies. What seems initially challenging unfolds like a fever dream."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.88) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "The sonic landscape resembles a lush forest at night, recalling with its eeriness and charm Danny Elfman's scores for Tim Burton movies.
Uncut (magazine) (p.81) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "Her piano and voice is backed by DG's leading instrumental players, who interpolate each classical snippet like a hip hop producer. It's a gimmick that works surprisingly well..."
|Format:||CD (1 Disc); Stereo|
|Release Date:||23 September, 2011|
|Guest Artist: ||Apollon Musagete Quartett|