RRP $32.99 $20.95 Save $12.04 (36%)
Free shipping Australia wide
Ships from USA supplier
- The Pixies: Black Francis (vocals, guitars), Joey Santiago (guitars), Kim Deal (bass, vocals), David Lovering (drums).
- All songs by Black Francis except "Gigantic" (Mrs. John Murphy) and "Levitate Me" (Black Francis/Lovering/Walsh).
- Recorded at 2-Division, Boston, Massachusetts and Fort Apache, Roxbury, Massachusetts.
- The Pixies: Black Francis (vocals, guitar); Kim Deal (vocals, bass); Joey Santiago (guitar); David Lovering (drums).
- Recorded at Q-Division, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Now seen as an important alternative band of the 80s, it is a pity they were not more appreciated at the time. The Boston-based Pixies exploded into life with this abrasive selection. Produced by enfant terrible Steve Albini, the album emphasized the quartet's scratchy tension. A vicious drum sound underpins the group's uncanny blend of urgency and melody, where Black Francis's rabid intonation contrasts with Kim Deal's more gentle perspective. Obtuse lyrics and barely controlled guitar accentuate the Pixies' uncompromising visions and emphasize an approach that both excites and intrigues. Terse, exhilarating and single-minded, SURFER ROSA is an audacious collection.
Professional ReviewsQ (10/01, p.67) - Ranked #26 in Q's "Best 50 Albums of Q's Lifetime"
Q (7/01, p.90) - Included in Q's "50 Heaviest Albums of All Time" - "...As cerebral as it is visceral....a relentlessly teeth-baring onslaught..."
Alternative Press (8/01, p.112) - Included in AP's "10 Essential '80s Albums" - "...An alternatively explosive and tender opus..."
NME (Magazine) (10/2/93, p.29) - Ranked #44 in NME's list of the `Greatest Albums Of All Time.'
NME (Magazine) (9/25/93, p.19) - Ranked #14 among The 50 Greatest Albums Of The '80s.
Blender (Magazine) (p.86) - 5 stars out of 5 -- "'Broken Face' and 'Break My Body' harness loneliness and self-loathing to images of deformation -- Pixies perennials; and 'Cactus' smolders with lust."
|Format:||Vinyl (0 Disc); Stereo|
|Release Date:||14 September, 2004|