Table of Contents
- My Personal Journey into The Boy Crisis
PART I: Is There Really a Boy Crisis?
1 The Crisis of Our Sons' Mental Health
2 The Crisis of Our Sons' Physical Health
3 The Crisis of Our Sons' Economic Health
4 The Crisis of Our Sons' Education
5 The Crisis of Our Sons Worldwide
6 Why Are We So Blind to the Boy Crisis?
PART II: Why the Boy Crisis Isn't Your Fault
7 The Boy Crisis: A Problem Created by a Solution
PART III: The Purpose Void
8 The Path-to-Purpose Generation Gap
- The Power of Purpose
- "I never thought you cared enough to ask."
- Your Son's Unconscious Wisdom
- Can a "Real Man" Transition from Provider-Protector to
9 The "Hero Paradox": Value Yourself by Not Valuing Yourself
- A Hero with a Thousand Faces
- The Sirens of Social Bribes
- Social bribes: Mom, men, the media, the military
- The Catch-22 of Your Son-as-Hero
10 Why Do More Marriages Fail in Countries That Succeed?
- The father's catch-22
- The Era of the Multi-Option Mom and the No-Option Dad
- How Did Our Daughters Avoid the Purpose Void?
- "Sorry, It's a Boy"
11 How Raising Our Sons Successfully in the Past Differs from
Raising Our Sons Successfully for Their Future
- Making Money Versus Making a Difference
- How to Guide Different Boys Toward Different Senses of
- Our Sons' New Sense of Purpose: The Hero's Journey to Emotional
12 Raising a Balanced Son in an Out-of-Balance World
- What Happened to Pick-Up Team Sports?
- Helping Your Son Find His "Edge"
- Filling Your Son's Purpose Void: Your Son as Hero
PART IV: Dad-Deprived Boys vs. Dad-Enriched Boys
13 Dad-Deprived Boys
- Boys Who Hurt, Hurt Us
- The Lost Boys: Mass shooters
- ISIS: A gang of dad-deprived boys?
- Bio Dad: The Discovery of the Dad Brain
- Careers Are for Now; Children Are Forever
- The Absence of Dad Creates the Presence of Government
14 Why Are Dads So Important?
15 Rediscovering Dad
- The Generation of the Dad Rich Versus the Dad Poor
- When Does Dad Begin to Matter?
- Stepdad or Bio Dad: Does it Make a Difference?
16 What Dads Do Differently
- Boundary Enforcement (Versus Boundary Setting)
- Exploring Nature, Taking Risks
- Roughhousing: Dad as a Rough, Tough Cream Puff
- "Teachable Moments": A Little Pain for a Lot of Gain
- Challenging the Kids' Limits
- Hangout Time
- Teasing: Emotional Intelligence Training, Dad-Style?
- The Conditional or Hierarchical Dad
- The Worrier and the Warrior: The Checks and Balances of
17 In the Case of Divorce . . . The Four "Must-Dos"
18 The Father Warrior: Why Fathering Will Be a New Male Sense of
- com: The Father Warrior Meets the Have-It-All Woman
- If Men Get Paid More, Is It Realistic for a Dad to Be the
19 DAD: Discrimination Against
- "It Doesn't Feel Right When I See Them Together"
- Moms Have the Right to Children, Dads Have to Fight for
- How Did Father Knows Best Become Father Knows
- Guiding Your Son to "Make a Difference"
20 The Best Parent is Both Parents, But . . .
- The Best "Parent" is an Attitude Shift
- Fighting in front of the kids
- No one asked why the men were drinking
- Cheap fun for dad and son
- Dad-inspiring movies
- When the Best "Parent" Cannot Be Both Parents
- The Cub Scouts and character
- Mentoring and rite-of-passage programs
- Grandfather time
- When the biological father is missing, can God the Father
21 From "Cultural Shrug" to Cultural Shift
- Kill Today, Love Tomorrow: The Military Dad Dilemma
- From Father's Dime to Father's Time
- The Government: As Problem, as Solution
- Creating a White House Council on Boys and Men
- Our Dads, Our Sons, Our Guns
22 Creating Dad-Enriched Families
PART V: Heroic Intelligence Versus Health Intelligence
23 Heroic Intelligence Versus Health Intelligence
- Biologically, Girls Just Live Longer, Right?
- Social Bribes: Hollywood-Heroic Health Versus Mental and
- Does the new heroine mean your son won't have to risk his life
for her love?
- Health Intelligence Inventory
- Boys' Weakness as Their Facade of Strength
- Your Son's Body, Not His Choice
- "First and ten, concussion again!"
- My son wants to join the military. Is this good news or bad
- Your Son's Body, Your Son's Choice: Resisting the Sirens of
24 Emotional Intelligence and Mental Health
- The Barriers to a Boy's Emotional Intelligence
- Behind Your Son's Mask
- "I'm fine . . . Just leave me alone."
- Helping your son take risks in life without risking his
- How Heroic Intelligence and Emotional Intelligence Play Out in
- Moving to better neighborhoods helps girls and hurts boys
- The bully and the bullied
- Helping both the bully and the bullied
- Eighteen Steps Toward Integrating Emotional and Physical Health
Intelligence into Heroic Intelligence
25 Reversing Depression, Preventing Suicide
- Causes of Suicide
- Women cry, men die
- If no human doing, no human being
- Suicide is contagious
- Diagnosing Danger: The Warren Farrell Male Depression/Suicide
- Preventing Suicide
26 Hidden Hazards to Your Son's Health
- The "Sperm Crisis": To Be, or Not to Be
- Drinking and Drugs
- The Unholy Trinity: Obesity, Diabetes, and Erectile
27 From Hurt People Hurting People to Healed People Healing
- Refilling the Empathy Void
- Couples' Communication: Your Children's Best Inheritance
PART VI: ADHD: Treatment With or Without Medication
28 The New Neural Crisis
29 The Four Faces of ADHD
30 The Many Causes of ADHD
- Addressing the Cause to Heal the Brain
31 Natural Solutions to Restore Dopamine Function
32 Natural Supplements for Better Brain Performance
- Your Mission: Guiding Your Son to Discover His Mission
- Extending Gender Liberation to Dads
- From Cultural Shrug to Cultural Mission: A Gender Liberation
Appendix A: Family Dinner Night: The Five Essentials
Appendix B: The Boy Crisis List: The Benefits of Dad,
the Dangers of Dad Deprivation
About the Authors
Promotional InformationAuthor speaking engagements and workshops
Promote heavily via author websites and social media
Promoting to appropriate groups and organizations including:
Boys to Men, Mankind
Warren Farrell's previous books have sold a million
John Gray's books have sold close to 10 million copies, with
one currently selling 300,000 copies per year
John Gray offers Mars/Venus coaching program
National publicist to handle national broadcast
Aggressive online campaign, to blogs and podcasts in these
categories: parenting, health and health professionals, general
interest and news
Thoughtleader campaign to top influencers in appropriate
Select signings and events with John and Warren
About the Author
Dr. Warren Farrell is the author of books
published in 17 languages. They include two award-winning
international best-sellers: Why Men Are The Way They Are
plus The Myth of Male Power. Warren has been chosen by the
Financial Times as one of the world's top 100 thought
Dr. Farrell is currently the Chair of the Commission to Create a
White House Council on Boys and Men. He is the only man in the U.S.
to have been elected three times to the Board of the National
Organization for Women (NOW) in New York City. He started more than
300 men and women's groups, including ones joined by men from John
Lennon to John Gray. Dr. Farrell has appeared repeatedly on
Oprah, TODAY, and Good Morning America,
and been the subject of features on 20/20, in Forbes,
The Wall Street Journal, People, Parade,
and The New York Times. Dr. John Gray is
the author of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.
USA Today listed Mars/Venus as number six among the most
influential books of the last quarter century. In hardcover, it was
the number one bestselling nonfiction book of the nineties. John
Gray's books are translated into approximately 45 languages in more
than 100 countries. Dr. Gray's more recent books include Mars
and Venus in the Bedroom, Why Mars and Venus Collide, and
Work With Me (with Barbara Annis). John has appeared
repeatedly on Oprah, as well as on The Dr. Oz
Show, TODAY, CBS This Morning, Good
Morning America, etc. He has been profiled in Time,
Forbes, USA Today, TV Guide, and
People. He was also the subject of a three-hour special
hosted by Barbara Walters.