Excerpt from Bushnell, Illinois, Centennial, 1854-1954 Bushnell, a town of not quite is situated at the junction of the Burlington, T. P. W. And St. Louis branch of the Burlington. Bushnell was laid out in 1854 before the completion of the Northern Cross railroad. John D. Hall of Macomb, sold a two-third interest in northeast quarter of section 33 to D. P. Wells and Iverson L. Twyman, also of Macomb. Wm. H. Rile, County surveyor, assisted these men in laying out the twon, running the streets parallel with the railroad. The quarter was divided into forty-eight blocks of 12 lots each, the blocks being 360 ft. Square. Two streets running parallel with the railroad, one on either side were made seventy feet wide, with all others sixty. The town was named in honor of I. N. Bushnell, at that time president of the Northern Cross railroad, the name by which the Burlington was then known. When the town was laid out, there was nothing on its proposed site, but a large wolf pole. A pole erected on the highest eminence in the neighborhood, on what is now the home of the writer, where it could be seen by parties engaging in the wolf hunt, it forming a common center. The nearest houses to this site were those of M. B. Robinson, Joseph Crawford and J. H. Spicer, some three miles west. For miles around, not a rod of land was fenced and not a road was located and in many places the prairie grass was so tall you could not see a man on horseback. As soon as the town was laid out, the proprietors built a small store of slabs, on the lot at the corner of E. Main and Wells Streets owned by Mrs. Carlock, which they sold to Hiram Markham and he and his brother, Daniel, put in a small stock of goods. Shortly after this, or early in 1855 Hiram Conover, John Beach, Wm. Ervin, and Wm. Vickers made settlement here. John Crawford commenced the erection of the first hotel but sold it to John D. Hall who completed it. The Markhams built a store building where the Opp Garage now stands, living above the store. J as. Cole was Bushnell's second merchant, commencing business in December, 1855. In April, 1856, Ne-gley and Angle of Canton opened a store here and Wyckoff and Shreeves located the same year where the Style Shop now is. When Bushnell was laid out the proprietors gave two blocks of land for parks, one on each side of the railroad. Soft maple trees were set in these parks (by Elias Beaver who later moved to Falls City, Nebr.) which soon furnished ample shade for recreational purposes. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.