Ceremonies at the Dedication of the Memorial
Excerpt from Ceremonies at the Dedication of the Memorial: Erected by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the National Cemetery at Salisbury, North Carolina In the year 1808, at a meeting of the National Association Union Ex-Prisoners of War, held at Cincinnati, Ohio, Mrs. Lisbeth Turner, of Massachusetts and Chairman of the Andersonville Prison Board of the Woman's Relief Corps Auxiliary of the Grand Army of the Republic, Appeared before the National Association and stated that she had been in structed to notify the National Association of the Union Ex-Prisoners of War, that the Womans Relief Corps were the owners of all of the ground within the original stockade of the Confederate Prison Pen at Anderson-ville, Georgia, they having purchased it from the Department of Georgia Grand Army of the Republic, and that it was their intention to inclose it with a suitable fence, erect ornamental gates at the Old North and South entrances, a lodge for the use of a caretaker, improve and beautify the grounds, erect a granite building over that Providential appearing stream of cold water that in 1864, broke through the trampled and hard baked ground, within the prison bounds, known as "Providence Spring," and place therein a beautiful and marble and granite fountain, and requested the co-operation of the National Association Union Ex-Prisoners of War. The National Association cheerfully acquiesed, and agreed to assume the cost and responsibility of erecting the fountain. James Atwell, National Commander, Col. James D. Walker, Chairman, Executive Committee, Stephen M.Long and William McKelvy, were appointed a committee by the National Association, to secure the necessary funds and erect the fountain. Under their supervision and direction, the work was contracted for, erected and dedicated. After the dedication ceremonies were concluded, and while the Committee were strolling through the National Cemetery, they noticed a small monument. Upon examination it proved to have been erected by the State of New Jersey, to the memory of her soldiers, who died in the Confederate Prison Pen at Andersonville, and are interred in the National Cemetery. Then and there it was resolved by the Pennsylvania members of the Committee, that the memory of the 1,849 soldiers of Pennsylvania, that perished in the Andersonville Stockade and were buried in the National Cemetery should be honored by the erection of a monument, or memorial, by their native state. After a consultation with the Hon. M. S. Quay, then a U. S.Senator from Pennsylvania, it was determined that memorials should be erected to the memory of Pennsylvania's Soldiers who perished in the Prison Pens and Stockades at Andersonville, Georgia, Salisbury, North Carolina, and Florence, South Carolina. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.