List of Figures and Tables
1. The Puzzle of Organizing Collective Action
2. Constructing Multilateral Military Coalitions
3. A Quantitative Test: What Factors Influence Multilateral Military Coalition Building?
4. Chaining Communists:: The Korean War (1950-1953)
5. Saving Darfur: UNAMID (2007-)
6. Fighting for Independence in East Timor: INTERFET (1999-2000)
7. Resisting Rebels in Chad and the Central African Republic: EUFOR Chad-CAR (2008-2009)
8. Power, Diplomacy, and Diplomatic Networks
Marina E. Henke is Assistant Professor of International Relations and the Co-Chair of the War & Society Working Group at Northwestern University.
"The impressive study provides one of the best efforts yet to understand how and why states have built coalitions to pursue military operations... Henke demonstrates the importance of diplomacy and leadership in building a successful coalition."* Foreign Affairs *
"If you wish to understand the inner workings of coalition creation, this is the book for you.... At a time when the Department of State has been devalued, this book helps to demonstrate exactly when maintaining a deep and extensive diplomatic staff around the globe is of keen US national security interest."* H-Net *