Guide to the Contents of the Australian Museum
Excerpt from Guide to the Contents of the Australian Museum The Australian Museum was founded in the year 1836. It was originally connected with the Botanic Gardens, and was located in a room in Macquarie Street. It was managed by a Committee, which in 1837 consisted of Alexander Macleay, Esq., J. V. Thompson, Esq., Capt. P. P. King, R.N., Hon. E. D. Thompson, M.C., Charles Sturt, Esq., with George Bennett, Esq., as Secretary. In the year 1837, also, the first catalogue of the exhibits was published. From this it appears that there were at that time in the Museum - 43 Specimens of Mammals; 348 of Birds; 21 of Reptiles; 215 of Insects; 25 of Shells; 34 of Skulls; 63 of Fossils and Minerals; 55 of Native Implements, etc., 804 in all, besides some collections of Fossils not enumerated. The Museum was soon afterwards removed to the Surveyor-General's Office in Bridge Street, where it remained till 1849, in which year it was again removed to its present site at the corner of William and College Streets. The building at this time consisted of one room with a gallery. It still exists as the "Old Wing" of the present Museum. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.