International History of the Twentieth Century and Beyond
Elsewhere $98.46 $87.91 Save $10.55 (11%)
Free shipping Australia wide
||Price Checked Time
||Their Price in AUD
You save $10.55
Order now for Christmas delivery
|Format: ||Paperback, 640 pages, 2nd Revised edition Edition|
|Other Information: ||6 black & white tables, 47 black & white halftones, 3 black & white line drawings|
|Published In: ||United Kingdom, 29 May 2008|
This major global history of the twentieth century is written by four prominent international historians for first-year undergraduate level and upward. Using their thematic and regional expertise, the authors cover events in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa and the Americas from the last century and beyond. Among the areas this book covers are:
- the decline of European hegemony over the international order
- the diffusion of power to the two superpowers
- the rise of newly independent states in Asia and Africa
- the course and consequences of the major global conflicts of the twentieth century.
This second edition is thoroughly updated, and includes extended coverage of European integration, the rise of supra-governmental organizations, and the 'global War on Terror'.
A support website provides supplementary exercises, questions and tutor guidance.
Table of Contents
1. Great Power Rivalry and the World War, 1900-1917 2. The Search for European Stability, 1917-1929 3. Japan, China and the Origins of the Pacific War, 1900-41 4. The European Colonial Empires, 1900-45 5. Origins of the Arab-Israeli Conflict, 1900-1948 6. 'Good Neighbours'? The United States and the Americas, 1900-45 7. The Path to European War, 1930-39 8. The Second World War, 1940-45 9. The 'First 'Cold War in Europe, 1945-61 10. Asia in Turmoil: Nationalism, Revolution and the Rise of the Cold War, 1945-1953 11. From Cold War to Detente, 1962-79 12. The Vietnam Wars, 1945-75 13. Neutralism, Development and the Rise of the Third World, 1945-2007 14. The 'Developmental States': Japan, South Korea and Taiwan, 1945-2007 15. The People's Republic of China and North Korea: Ideology and Nationalism, 1949-2007 16. The United States and Latin America, 1945-2007 17. Africa: Decolonization and Independence, 1945-2007 18. The Arab-Israeli Conflict, 1948-2007 19. The Rise of Political Islam, 1928-2000 20. The End of the Cold War and the 'New World Order', 1980-2000 21. The Rise of a New Europe: The History of European Integration, 1945-2007 22. The War on Terror in a Globalized World. Epilogue; Glossary; Bibliography; Index
About the Author
Antony Best is Senior Lecturer in International History at the London School of Economics. Jussi M. Hanhimaki is Professor of International History and Politics at the Graduate Institute of International Studies, Geneva. Joseph A. Maiolo is Senior Lecturer in International History in the Department of War Studies, King's College London. Kirsten E. Schulze is Senior Lecturer in International History at the London School of Economics.
24.6 x 18.9 x 3.6 centimetres (1.18 kg)|
15+ years |