R.C. BHARGAVA joined the Indian Administrative Service in 1956. After an eventful tenure, during which he had postings in Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and in the Central government, he was deputed to BHEL as its commercial director in 1979. In 1981, he moved to Maruti Udyog Limited, retiring from the IAS shortly thereafter. He was appointed managing director of MUL in 1985. In 1990, he also assumed the responsibility of chairman of the board. Except for a few years following his retirement in 1997, he has continued to be closely associated with the company, from 2007 as chairman once again. Mr Bhargava is on the boards of a number of leading Indian companies across a diverse range of sectors. He has also been providing advisory and consultancy services to several Indian and foreign companies, and is actively involved with the Confederation of Indian Industry.
An extraordinary and rare insight into how a few determined entrepreneurs created an icon...' - C. K. Prahalad "The well documented study of the birth and success of Maruti will be of great value for policy makers, entrepreneurs and auto enthusiast" The Stateman