Comunication Frameworks (Museum Meanings)
Elsewhere $113 $59.97 Save $53.03 (47%)
Free shipping Australia wide
||Price Checked Time
||Their Price in AUD
||4 days ago
You save $21.66
You save $10.01
Order Now for Christmas with e-Gift
|Format: ||Paperback, 200 pages|
|Other Information: ||3 black & white tables, 17 black & white halftones, 17 black & white line drawings|
|Published In: ||United Kingdom, 19 December 2005|
Answering key questions in the study of how museums communicate, Louise Ravelli provides a set of frameworks to investigate the complexities of communication in museums:
* What is an appropriate level of complexity for a written label?
* Why do some choice in language make a more direct relation to visitors?
* Is there a correct way of presenting a particular view of content?
* How do design practices contribute to the overall meanings being made?
The frameworks enhances the way we critically analyze and understand museums text, both in the sense of conventional written texts in museums and in an expanded sense of the museum as a whole operating as a communicative text.
Using a wide range of examples to demonstrate that all communication needs to be understood in relation to its social context, Ravelli argues that communication contributes fundamentally to what a museum is, who it relates to and what it stands for.
Not only museum studies and communications studies students, but also professionals in the field will find "Museum Texts "an indispensable guide on communication frameworks.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Texts, Frameworks and Meanings 2. Organization as a Way of Making Meaning: Using Language to Organize, Shape and Connect 3. Focus: Making Texts Accessible: Adjusting the Level of Complexity 4. Interacting In and Through Language: Using Language to Relate, Engage and Evaluate 5. Representing the World through Language: Using Language to Portray, Interpret and Construct 6. Extending the Frameworks: Understanding Exhibitions and Museums as Texts 7. Conclusion: Integrating the Frameworks
24.5 x 17 x 1 centimetres (0.42 kg)|
15+ years |