The holistic paradigm, Gaia, deep ecology, and new alchemy all have a hidden ancestor: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832).At the youthful age of twenty-one, Steiner was chosen to edit Goethe's scientific writings for the principle Geothe edition of his time. Goethe's literary genius was universally acknowledged; it was Steiner's task to understand and comment on Goethe's scientific achievements. Steiner recognized the significance of Goethe's work with nature and his epistemology, and here began Steiner's own training in epistemology and spiritual science. This collection of Steiner's introductions to Goethe's works re-visions the meaning of knowledge and how we attain it. Goethe had discovered how thinking could be applied to organic nature and that this experience requires not just rational concepts but a whole new way of perceiving. In an age when science and technology have been linked to great catastrophes, many are looking for new ways to interact with nature. With a fundamental declaration of the interpenetration of our consciousness and the world around us, Steiner shows how Goethe's approach points the way to a more compassionate and intimate involvement with nature.Contents:
1. Introduction by John Barnes
2. The Origin of Goethe's Concept of Metamorphosis
3. The Origin of Goethe's Thinking on Animal Morphology
4. The Nature & Significance of Goethe's Writings on Organic Morphology
5. Goethe's Way of Knowing
6. Concluding Remarks on Goethe's Morphology
7. The Arrangement of Goethe's Scientific Writings
8. From Art to Science
9. Goethe's Theory of Knowledge
10. Knowledge & Action in the Light of Goethe's Ideas
11. Goethe's Way of Thinking Compared to Other Views
12. Goethe and Mathematics
13. Goethe's Fundamental Geological Principle
14. Goethe's Meteorological Ideas
15. On the Subjectivity of Sensory Perceptions
16. Goethe As Thinker & Researcher
17. Goethe versus Atomism
18. Goethe's Worldview in His Verses in Prose
Essay by John Barnes: "Participatory Science As the Basis for a Healing Culture"
Bibliography & Further Reading
Nature's Open Secret is a translation of Goethes Naturwissenschaftliche Schriften, Einleitungen, (1884-1897). Previous translations were titled Goethe the Scientist and Goethean Science.
Fishpond works with suppliers all over the world to bring you a huge selection of products, really great prices, and delivery included on over 25 million products that we sell.
We do our best every day to make Fishpond an awesome place for customers to shop and get what they want — all at the best prices online.
You can earn a 5%
commission by selling Nature's Open Secret: Introductions to Goethe's Scientific Writings (Cw 1)
on your website. It's easy to get started - we will give you example code.
After you're set-up, your website can earn you money while you work, play or even sleep!
You should start right now!
Are you the Author or Publisher of a book? Or the manufacturer of one of the millions of products that we sell.
You can improve sales and grow your revenue by submitting additional information on this title.
The better the information we have about a product, the more we will sell!