A note to the instructor
Note to the student
List of abbreviations used in examples
List of tables
1. What is syntax?
2. Words belong to different classes
3. Looking inside sentences
4. Heads and their dependents
5. How do we identify constituents?
6. Relationships within the clause
7. Processes that change grammatical relations
8. Wh-constructions: questions and relative clauses
9. Asking questions about syntax
Sources of data used in examples
MAGGIE TALLERMAN is Professor of Linguistics, University of Newcastle.
'Tallerman's strongly comparative approach to introducing the basic concepts of syntax has materialised in a very readable and interesting book...Understanding Syntax is an absolute pleasure to read, thanks to its casual, down-to-earth style. It is user-friendly and accessible, and takes its readers seriously'