461 Ocean Boulevard [Deluxe Edition] [Digipak] [Remaster]
Elsewhere $36.97 $26.52 Save $10.45 (28%)
Free shipping Australia wide
Order Now for Christmas with e-Gift
- Includes a bonus disc Live At Hammersmith Odeon, London.
- Personnel: Eric Clapton (vocals, guitar, dobro); Eric Clapton; Marcy Levy (harmonica, background vocals); Albhy Galuten (piano, electric piano, clavichord, synthesizer, ARP synthesizer); Carl Radle (bass guitar); Jamie Oldaker (drums, percussion); Al Jackson, Jr. , Ali Muhammed Jackson , Jim Fox (drums); George Terry, Yvonne Elliman (vocals, guitar, background vocals); Dick Sims (organ, keyboards); Tom Bernfield (background vocals).
- Liner Note Author: Scott Schinder.
- Recording information: Criteria Studios, Miami, FL (04/??/1974-12/05/1974); The Hammersmith Odeon, London, England (04/??/1974-12/05/1974).
- Photographer: David Gahr.
- Arrangers: Eric Clapton; Carl Radle.
- After playing the 1973 Rainbow Concerts that were arranged by good friend Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton returned to Florida's Criteria Recording Studio to cut 461 OCEAN BOULEVARD. Because of a stint of personal turmoil, Clapton had not played guitar for two years preceeding the Rainbow Concerts, but with the help of a core group of musicians including George Terry, former Derek & the Dominos bassist Carl Radle, Jamie Oldaker, and Yvonne Elliman, Slowhand put together an album that many consider to be his best.
- Focusing more on his singing than his guitar pyrotechnics of the past, the new, improved Clapton used a laid-back, J.J. Cale-type vocal style to great effect on a mellow version of "Willie And The Hand Jive" and Elmore James's "I Can't Hold Out." Far from being a kinder, gentler guitar hero, Clapton also showed considerable spark on a slide-drenched "Motherless Children" and the driving "Mainline Florida," which closes out the album. Of course, his cover of Bob Marley's "I Shot The Sheriff" was the musical statement that took him to the top of the charts and let the general public know he was back. 461 OCEAN BOULEVARD is still one of the highest points of Clapton's solo career.
Professional ReviewsQ (2/96, p.104) - 3 Stars (out of 5) - "...closed the chapter on Clapton as guitar hero and opened a new one as a hitmaker with a more relaxed and commercial style..."
Uncut (p.172) - 4 stars out of 5 - "[T]he 1974 album on which Clapton rediscovered the primacy of music in his life. The result was a joyous collection..."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.119) - 4 stars out of 5 - "A form-finding set, comedown as comeback."
|Producer:||Tom Dowd; Tom Dowd; Bill Levenson (Compilation); Bill Levenson (Reissue)|
|Format:||CD (2 Disc); Stereo|
|Release Date:||13 March, 2005|
|Guest Artist: ||Yvonne Elliman|
1. Motherless Children
2. Give Me Strength
3. Willie And The Hand Jive
4. Get Ready
5. I Shot The Sheriff
6. I Can't Hold Out
7. Please Be With Me
8. Let It Grow
9. Steady Rollin Man
10. Walkin Down The Road [Session Outtakes]
11. Ain't That Lovin' You [Session Outtakes]
12. Meet Me [Down At The Bottom][Session Outtakes]
13. Meet Me [Down At The Bottom] [Session Outtakes]
14. Eric After Hours Blue [Session Outtakes]
15. B Minor Jam [Session Outtakes]
16. Smile [Live][Previously Unreleased]
17. Let It Grow [Live] [Previously Unreleased]
18. Can't Find My Way Home [Live] [Previously Unreleased]
19. I Shot The Sheriff [Live]
20. Tell The Truth [Live]
21. The Sky Is Cryin' /Ramblin' On My Mind/Have You Ever Loved A
22. Little Wing [Live]
23. Singing The Blues [Live] [Previously Unreleased]
24. Badge [Live] [Previously Unreleased]
25. Layla [Live] [Previously Unreleased]
26. Let It Rain [Live] [Previously Unreleased]
Tell a friend
Someone obviously came up with an idea for the problem : "How do we remaster and re-release a Clapton album?"
"Hey Bill, let's add Layla to all of them, that has to make it better"!
Maybe not here.
However, the long version of I Shot The Sheriff is bloody good.
Some bonus blues jams are a bit more in keeping with the spirit I think, but maybe not the overall tone and flow.
Overall, not sure why there is extra, apart from a cash grab? You still have the original stuff, so it doesn't make it worse, just doesn't seem to be much point.
Review this Product
Webmasters, Bloggers & Website Owners
You can earn a 5% commission by selling 461 Ocean Boulevard [Deluxe Edition] [Digipak] [Remaster] on your website.
It's easy to get started - we will give you example code. After you're set-up, your website can earn you money while you work, play or even sleep!
Are you the Author/Publisher? Improve sales by submitting additional information on this title.
This item ships from and is sold by Fishpond World Ltd.