- This version of the Prodigy album EXPERIENCE includes a bonus disc of remixes and B-sides.
- The Prodigy: Liam Howlett, MC Maxim, Keith Flint, Leeroy Thornhill.
- Additional personnel includes: Simone (vocals).
- All tracks have been digitally remastered.
- Personnel: Simone (vocals); Liam Howlett (keyboards).
- Audio Remasterer: Mike Marsh.
- This vinly reissue of The Prodigy's first LP transports you back to a time in the early '90s when it seemed as if rave and electronic dance music might obliterate guitar-based rock from the charts for good. That swaggering, aggressive confidence still permeates EXPERIENCE's 12 tracks. FAT OF THE LAND, which unfurled hits like "Firestarter" and "Breathe" on a ready public, made Liam Howlett's project a household name, but it was 1992's EXPERIENCE that laid the groundwork for The Prodigy's scabrous mixture of hardcore beats and punk melody. Opener "Jericho"'s sampled cry to "keep on dancin'" sets a tone that persists throughout the album. While that and tracks like "Wind it Up" are fairly straightforward hardcore rave invectives, sneakier songs like "Out of Space" (with its Max Romeo samples and "Guns of Brixton"-like boing-boing sounds), and "Weather Experience," prove more expansive. It's easy to hear why EXPERIENCE remains one of the primary documents of a time, place, and sound.
Spin (9/01, p.166) - 9 out of 10 - "...A radical enhancement of a bona fide classic....a blast."
Entertainment Weekly (1/8/93, p.54) - "...frenetic, hypercreative electro-jams..." - Rating: B
Q (12/92, p.133) - 3 Stars - Good - "..a debut album full of experimentation...demonstrates Prodigy's ability to write simple hooks and play them at mental velocity.."
Q (Magazine) (p.117) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[I]t echoes the ecstatic aggro of punk and garage rock: good time music with a manic, riotous edge."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.83) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[L]ike a runaway E-train peppered with proto-jungle breakbeats, euphoric piano, fairground keyboards and manic vocal samples, all forged by studio mastermind Liam Howlett."