The Harder They Come [Original Soundtrack] [Remaster]
Elsewhere $22.28 $14.95 Save $7.33 (33%)
Free shipping Australia wide
Order Now for Christmas with e-Gift
- The 2003 Deluxe Edition of THE HARDER THEY COME includes a bonus CD of early reggae tracks recorded between 1968 & 1972, rare photos and original artwork.
- Producers: Jimmy Cliff, Derrick Harriot, Leslie Kong, Byron Lee.
- Originally released on Mango SMSAS (7400). Includes liner notes by David Katz.
- Producers: Jimmy Cliff, Derrick Harriot, Leslie Kong, Byron Lee, Guilly Bright.
- The soundtrack to the groundbreaking film about Jamaican subcultures, this superb selection is also a synthesis of late 60s and early 70s reggae. Recordings by Jimmy Cliff, the movie's star, form the album's core and his contributions, notably 'Many Rivers To Cross', show his understated power to great effect. An important figure in the development of reggae, Cliff at last secured deserved acclaim with this collection. His work is ably supported by 'Pressure Drop', one of the finest songs the Maytals ever recorded, while the Melodians and Slickers prove equally strong. The latter's 'Johnny Too Bad' perfectly encapsulates the film's plot, one that helped launch reggae into the international arena.
Professional ReviewsRolling Stone (12/11/03, p.124) - Ranked #119 in Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums Of All Time" - "'Many Rivers To Cross' is one of the finest songs to come from the island..."
Rolling Stone (8/7/03, p.77) - 5 stars out of 5 - "...THE HARDER THEY COME only sounds more alive thirty years after its original appearance..."
Rolling Stone (12/11/03, p.124) - Ranked #119 in Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums Of All Time" - "'Many Rivers To Cross' is one of the finest songs to come from the island..."
Entertainment Weekly (10/12/01, p.29) - Ranked #12 in EW's "100 Best Movie Soundtracks" - "...A vital compilation...Heartfelt and urgent..."
Q (10/01, p.144) - 5 stars out of 5 - "...The songs have aged better than the film, with many of Cliff's contributions remaining bona fide standards..."
Down Beat (1/02, p.46) - Included in Downbeat's "Best CDs of 2001".
Down Beat (12/01, p.88) - 5 stars out of 5 - "...Vastly enjoyable..."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.134) - 4 stars out of 5 - "[F]rom early '60s ska gems like 'One-Eyed Jacks' to the justly celebrated self-titled debut album....A fine collection from an unsung giant."
Mojo (Publisher) (6/02, p.66) - Included in Mojo's "100 Coolest Movie Soundtracks".
|Format:||CD (1 Disc); Stereo|
|Release Date:||15 January, 2013|