1. I Loves You Porgy
2. I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good
3. Don't Ever Leave Me
4. Somebody To Watch Over Me
5. My Wild Irish Rose
6. Blame It On My Youth
8. Something To Remember You By
9. Be My Love
11. I'm Through With Love
- Solo performer: Keith Jarrett (piano).
- "I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good" was nominated for the 2001 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Instrumental Solo.
- Personnel: Keith Jarrett (piano).
- Recording information: Cavelight Studio (1998).
- Photographers: Daniela Nowitzki; Rose Anne Jarrett.
- Arranger: Keith Jarrett.
- Keith Jarrett is considered one of the most important pianists to emerge since the '60s. He landed gigs with Art Blakey and the Live/Evil-era Miles Davis Group, then recorded a stunning series of solo improvisations in the '70s that brought him international renown.
- The prodigious master of melody and improvisation returns to the realm of solo recording with distinctive, impressionistic versions of 10 timeless classics. This hushed, reflective set includes "Someone to Watch Over Me," "I Loves You Porgy," "I Got it Bad and That Ain't Good," his own "Meditation," and even a version of "My Wild Irish Rose" that James Joyce might have enjoyed in Bloom's parlor or a quiet Dublin pub. Jarrett interprets these standards with great reverence, and personalizes each with an evocative mix of neo-classical mastery and jazz soul. On THE MELODY AT NIGHT, WITH YOU, Keith Jarrett conjures a perfect mood for romantic candlelit dinners or quiet introspection.
Entertainment Weekly (11/12/99, p.83) - "...Though verging on intimate romanticism, it's one of his most radical projects yet." - Rating: A
Q (2/00, p.90) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...finds the pianist in a romantic mood: lush without being gushing, and sounding uncannily like Bill Evans....The opening 'I Loves You Porgy' is dreamy and perfect, and worth the price of the album in its own right..."
Down Beat (8/00, p.27) - Ranked #2 Jazz Album in Downbeat "Critics Poll 2000".
JazzTimes (1-2/00, pp.95-6) - "...The tempos are slow, the surfaces are placid, the listening easy....This is a lovely album..."