- This is an Enhanced audio CD which contains regular audio tracks and multimedia computer files.
- Personnel: Wayne Hancock (vocals, acoustic guitar); Dave Biller, Paul Skelton, Sean Mencher, Jim Stringer (guitar, background vocals); Jeremy Wakefield (steel guitar, background vocals); Erik Hokkanen (fiddle); Bob Stafford (trombone, background vocals); T Jarrod Bonta (piano, background vocals); Ric Ramirez (bass, background vocals); Davey Ketchum (bass); Lisa Pankratz (drums); Ken "Chooch" Norman (sound effects).
- Recorded at Fire Station Studios, San Marcos, Texas.
- Personnel: Dave Biller, Jim Stringer, Lloyd Maines, Sean Mencher, Paul Skelton (guitar); Erik Hokkanen (fiddle); Lisa Pankratz (drums).
- Recording information: Fire Station Studios, San Marcos, TX.
- Wayne Hancock's third album, Wild, Free and Restless, is another richly eclectic melting pot of vintage American sounds with a distinctly rural orientation. Yet, in spite of the fact that Hancock is an unabashed revivalist, his music never comes off as academic or as mere preservationism; these songs breathe with a lively energy, and the juxtapositions of styles seem natural and unselfconscious. The spirits of Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers, and Bob Wills hang the heaviest over Hancock's music, but there's also blues, big-band jazz, and some rockabilly insanity; plus, Hancock covers both Ernest Tubb ("Kansas City Blues") and Carl Perkins ("Blue Suede Shoes") this time out. Another fine effort from a singular stylist. ~ Steve Huey
Q (4/00, p.93) - 3 stars out of 5 - "...[He] delivers the goods almost every time here....most of the album sounds like classic country material from 1949....fine and dandy..."
Country Music People (1/00, p.28) - 4.5 out of 5 - "...a 15-track thriller that fair bubbles over with passion, vitality and consummate musicianship....true hillbilly heaven..."
Mojo (Publisher) (5/00, pp.94-5) - "...The best of Texas dancehall....If you're impressed by pedal-steel breaks that swing from boogie to bebop at the drop of a Stetson, you'll be stunned."